Monday, January 2, 2017

Thankful Jar

Enjoy an even better life with an attitude of gratitude!

As one year closes and another begins I spend time reviewing the past and planning for the future. In thinking back to 2016 I became filled with gratitude for all that I have in my life. As I thought about the wonderful people in my life, my coaches and mentors, all I’ve learn and accomplished both personally and professionally, all of the extraordinary activities, vacations, meaningful moments when my emotions were stirred, I realized that I may not remember everything. This realization lead me to want to create a new ritual in 2017. 

I put a jar in my bedroom along with a small pad of paper and pen. Each night I will write down one or more things I experienced or thought about that I am thankful for. The note will then be placed in my “Thankful Jar.” At the end of the year, I will take some time to read each of the thankful notes. I can just imagined how filled with happiness I will be as I remember what I was thankful for each day of the year.

My morning ritual begins with this question, “What am I thankful for?” I take a few moments to reflect on the many wonderful aspects of my life. I start with my family and friends - people I love and who love me - and I feel loved. Next is usually an experience, accomplishments or opportunity in my life that truly moves my emotions. I finish being thankful for a couple of things that could easily be taken for granted like chairs, music, cars, airplanes, brilliant researchers and doctors, my sight, hearing, taste buds, legs and arms. All of these thoughts create of flood of happy emotions! My day is off to an amazing start!

Research shows that people who have an attitude of gratitude live happier healthier lives. Seven of the scientifically proven benefits are revealed in this article by psychotherapist and author, Amy Morin.

The benefits include:
  • Opening doors to more relationships
  • Improved physical health
  • Improved psychological health
  • Enhanced empathy and reduced aggression
  • Better sleep
  • Improved self-esteem
  • Increased mental strength

I invite you to join me in filling a thankful jar with notes of gratitude each night. At the end of 2017 we’ll take some time to read the notes and recall the wonderful memories and feel the joyous emotions those moments elicited. Let's also even share our thankful messages on my Facebook Page throughout the year!

Thank YOU! Have an amazing 2017!


Be Positive - Live Positive - Golf Positive

No comments:

Post a Comment